In this episode, I am revisiting Episode 51 on decluttering relationships.
Listen in here:
Declutter: Remove unnecessary items from (an untidy or overcrowded place)
This does not mean throw everyone away and start over from scratch. The means take inventory with awareness. I have touched on this topic a couple of times in the show. This piece is specific to clean up and may be a little painful.
Do you know of anyone who has hundreds if not a thousand contacts in their phone? I used to be one of those people. Until, I was sitting in a Bill Walsh seminar not the football coach but the owner of (Powerteam International). He talked about how much clutter we carry in our lives.
So, I came home from that meeting and sat on my couch looking through contacts. Here’s what came up for me:
- Do I really need to get rid of them?
- What if I get a message from them and don’t know who it is? Then I have to ask and look like an ass?
- Then I though what if I delete over half of my contacts, I won’t have anyone to call on my phone or send a message to?
Then it hit me! What is more important than what if scenarios or me getting dialed into what I am focused on? – I am focused on decluttering! So deleting ensued – and I deleted about 150 contacts and didn’t look back. Honestly, that was about 3 years ago, and I do not miss it. Now I have taken some time almost 1 a year to do some clean up.
- Where else can you do this in your life?
- What about relationships with friends? Are they friends or associations in the social circle you run in?
- What about decluttering family? It’s hard to change to transition those ties. I was able to find a way to set up boundaries in this area.
By decluttering this area of my life, I have seen how the universe has brought in fewer but more quality business relationships that is in alignment with my journey and goal. I also, realize that sometimes those relationships are around for just the right amount of time before the next relationship opens up. Instead of falling into the “why did that person stop calling”, I have welcomed the relational transitions that keep me moving forward.
- Where do you start?
- Start with contacts in your phone
- Move into friendships
- Look at Family
This does not happen overnight, this a constant process, but effective when you get the hang of it.
This is your time, You are the only one who can make it happen. No MORE excuses.
See you next week as I get into the next juicy topic – stay tuned!
Never Miss an Episode: